Anthony, HFW's Head of Regulation, leads HFW's data protection practice and has advised on data protection matters for over 20 years. He was ranked seventh in the top 10 lawyers worldwide by Lloyd's List for 2016. He is also recommended in Chambers 2018 which quotes clients as saying that he is "approachable, down-to-earth and fun to work with.“ Legal 500 2017 comments that he is noted by clients for his "keen, analytical mind" and "good grasp of the commercial impact", with an "accessible", "practical" and "business-oriented" manner, heading the "professional", "responsive" and "client-focused" team at HFW.
Anthony is frequently quoted in the press, and regularly gives presentations. He has recently given a number of interviews on high-profile issues, including with the BBC.
His experience includes advising:
- A leading international contracts logistics company – on its UK data protection policies and procedures, helping it to adapt and roll out these policies and procedures across a range of jurisdictions. The following year, the company was bought out and we conducted a further 30-country multijurisdictional review to ensure it was correctly registered in each jurisdiction and that all relevant policies and documents were in place.
- A specialist underwriter – focusing on obtaining the necessary consents for an ambitious electronic marketing project.
- A Fortune 500 electronics distributor – on a review of privacy and cookie policies in eight separate jurisdictions, working to a deadline of just three days to complete the initial work.
- A US-based world leader in the provision of IT data systems and technologies – on EU data protection and privacy laws concerning the issue of fuel cards to its client and on international transfers of personal data.
- A leading retailer – on data protection compliance, including issues on retention of data, following a complaint by a customer to the industry regulator.
- A global not-for-profit utilities initiative – in drafting its global privacy policies.
- A specialist life insurer – on the practical and regulatory issues involved in a substantial loss of personal data, including negotiations with the Information Commissioner’s Office and dealing with the company’s regulators.
- A leading maritime organisation – on data protection compliance in the context of their development of a new online procurement facility.
- A leading oil services provider on data protection aspects of an acquisition.
- A leading property group on CCTV operations, including preparing a Code of Practice.